Ever wondered if you can freeze rice? Yes, you can freeze cooked and raw rice of all kinds and it is pretty easy to do as well.
Freezing food doesn't only prevent food waste, it saves time and money and more importantly, it reheats well and it's as good as fresh. Let me show you how to do it
Yes, you freeze cooked and uncooked rice
You will no longer be throwing leftover rice that is still perfectly ok in the bin because you don't know what to do with it or how to prolong its shelf life. You can freeze cooked rice for up to 1 month and indefinitely if freezing uncooked rice.
This method will work for plain, white, or brown rice, fried rice, jambalaya, coconut rice, and more.
Related post: how to cook frozen sausages
What you will need
- Freezer safe airtight containers
- Heavy-duty freezer safe bags
- Rimmed baking tray
- Serving spoon or measuring cups
How to freeze rice
There are two ways to store the rice, it can be stored in a freezer-safe airtight container or a strong freezer-safe bag. Both ways are great, however, if you are storing it in a container, you can do that straight away without waiting around for the rice to cool. Just make sure it cools completely before placing it in the freezer.
Cook the rice as you would normally cook it, fluff with a fork, and allow it to cool completely. In order to cool cooked rice quickly and safely, transfer the rice to a wide shallow bowl or spread the rice on a baking tray lined with parchment paper to cool completely. It should take less than 30 minutes to cool
Portion the rice into freezer bags, and squeeze out as much air as possible from the bag. Label the freezer bag with dates and portion sizes and make sure to flatten the bags.
Store in the freezer for up to one month.
Tip: double bag the freezer bag if you feel it is not strong enough.
How to thaw rice
When you need to use cooked frozen rice, take it out of the freezer the night before and thaw in the fridge overnight. Once fully defrosted, reheat over steam, stovetop, or microwave.
Avoid defrosting rice at room temperature to avoid bacteria growth, also to prevent food poisoning, the rice must be properly preheated. I have a full guide on how to reheat rice properly in the microwave and on the stove.
That is how easy freezing rice really is and you will no longer be throwing away leftover rice (or other grains) that can easily be frozen.
Can you freeze rice with curry
Yes, you can freeze rice and coconut milk-based curry with meat or vegetable for up 1 in the freezer.
Can you freeze basmati rice
Yes, you can freeze basmati rice or any other type of rice, brown, white, whether it is long grain, short grain, jasmine rice, and many more.
How long can you freeze cooked rice
Cooked rice can be frozen for up to 1 month for optimum freshness. If storing for longer, make sure to use it up before 3 months as frozen rice tends to lose its moisture and texture the longer it remains frozen.
Can you freeze rice and beans
Yes, you can freeze rice and beans, make sure it is completely cool before transferring into a freezer-safe bag. If stored in an air container, do not fill the bowl all the way to the top to allow for expansion. Freeze for up to 1 month or longer at your discretion.
Can you freeze jambalaya?
Yes, you can freeze jambalaya of all kinds. However, freezing jambalaya with shrimp may result is not really recommended as the shrimp would become chewy once it is reheated. Freeze for up to 1 month or longer at your discretion.
Check out the following posts for how to freeze
I hope you found this article helpful, if you did, don't forget to leave feedback and save it to your Pinterest.
Can You Freeze Rice (How To Freeze Rice)
- freezer bag or airtight container
- Cooked rice
- Cook the rice as you would normally cook it or follow the instruction on the packet, fluff with a fork, and allow it to cool completely.In order to cool cooked rice quickly and safely, transfer the rice to a wide shallow bowl or spread the rice on a baking tray lined with parchment paper to cool completely. It should take less than 30 minutes to cool
Freezer bad method
- Portion the rice into freezer bags, and squeeze out as much air as possible from the bag. Label the freezer bag with dates and portion sizes and make sure to flatten the bags.
- Store in the freezer for up to one month.
Airtight container method
- Portion the rice in an airtight container, making sure not to fill it all the way to the top to allow for expansion. Cut out some parchment paper to fit on top of the rice, place the cut-out parchment paper on the rice before you place the lid on it, make sure it is secure.
- Store in the freezer for up to one month.
Leave a Reply