Simple and quick microwaved pasta! Learn how to cook pasta in the microwave in easy steps. This cooking method is foolproof and perfect for when you are cooking for one or two people. This guide will teach you everything you need to make this effortless in 15 minutes or less.
Can you cook pasta in the microwave?
Yes, you can cook pasta in the microwave and it is super easy too!
As we all know pasta is a little time-consuming to make traditionally. First, we must boil water; after that, there is additional time needed to cook pasta in the boiling water; finally, there's the issue of preparing the sauce.
Learning how to cook pasta in the microwave will save you time, simplify your life, and ensure that your dinner is hot and ready when you are.
This cooking method is very simple, time-saving, hassle-free and you are guaranteed an easy cleanup.
The possibilities for customizing your microwave pasta are endless. You can add different sauces, spices, and other leftover vegetables and meat according to your preferences. Read on for yummy variations
If you believe that cooking pasta in the microwave isn't possible, you're wrong. This pasta recipe will be a game-changer for you if you thought it couldn't be done. It won't be overcooked or undercooked, and it will be ready in a short amount of time.
Microwave technology allows you to prepare meals and baked goods in a matter of minutes. There are several other microwave appetizing dishes, such as preparing a sweet potato in the microwave and how to cook carrots in the microwave, do check them out. It is also convenient if you are living in hostels, microwave recipes come in handy.
Calories in one cup cooked pasta: 131 calories
Tools you will need
A microwavable bowl
Pasta (of your choice) If you use long noodles such as spaghetti or linguine, you will have to break them into shorter strands to fit into the bowl.
You can also add some flavors of your choice like
Fresh or dried herbs
How to cook pasta in the microwave
Take a bowl that is big enough to hold your pasta and deep enough to allow for expansion as the pasta will rise and double in size.
Add dry pasta in the bowl, add salt and enough water to cover the pasta completely (there is no fast or hard rule as to how much water to add to the pasta, as a rule of thumb, I use 2 cups of water to 1 dried pasta)
Place the bowl in the microwave and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, do keep an eye so it doesn't boil over(place a bowl under the bowl or kitchen towel before placing it in the microwave). After 3 minutes stir the pasta so that it does not stick together and add some more water if needed.
Check the pasta for doneness and if it needs a longer time, continue to cook at one-minute intervals until al dente.
After it’s done take the bowl out from the microwave stir it, drain excess water if need be. Add butter and stir into the pasta until melted and season with black pepper. Serve as desired with any sauce of choice.
Add sauces and spices
If you will be adding sauce like pizza sauce or marinara sauce, cook the pasta 2 minutes less than instructed in this recipe. Drain the microwaved pasta and add the desired sauce accordingly, return the bowl into the microwave and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
PS: if you leave the pasta in the microwave longer than necessary, you will risk overcooking it which can, in turn, makes it dry out and chewy.
Pasta In The Microwave Variations
Microwave Mac and cheese
Did you know that you can prepare mac and cheese in the microwave? It is simple to make, and it tastes just as good as the stovetop method. To make this happen, you will need these additional ingredients
⅓ cup milk
1 teaspoon cornstarch optional
⅓ cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
Simply follow steps 1 to 5 above, once the macaroni is fully cooked, add milk, cornstarch and, grated mozzarella cheese. stir to combine and return in the microwave and cook for another 1 minute to 90 seconds. to prepare the pasta. Now you can enjoy your all-time favorite mac and cheese in a few minutes with the same delicious flavors.
Cream cheese pasta
It’s the same as mac and cheese but it’s more creamy and delicious.
- Follow the above 6 steps of preparing the pasta.
- Add double cream, cream cheese, and some parmesan cheese with salt, pepper, oregano, and some red chili flakes to the pasta.
- Give some stir and then put it in the microwave for another 60 to 90 seconds. (keep an eye so that it doesn't overflow)
- remove from the microwave, serve and enjoy.
Tuna pasta with veggies
It’s healthy to add some vegetables to your diet. If you have leftover veggies like peas, carrots, broccoli, beans, or capsicums, put them in your pasta to enjoy.
- Follow the above steps to prepare the pasta until well done. drain excess water and leave to cool (except you want a warm salad)
- Add chopped veggies of your choice, salt, pepper, tuna flakes, and mayonnaise.
- Stir all the ingredients well to combine, serve and enjoy.
How long to microwave pasta
The duration depends on the type of pasta you are cooking, the shape of the pasta, and what ingredients you add. In general, you may cook any type of dry pasta for 3-5 minutes in the microwave. Also, note that thicker varieties like Fusilli take more time to cook.
After the initial 3 minutes if the pasta needs more cooking, put it back in the microwave for 1 more minute intervals until al dente.
How to Make Pasta In The Microwave
It’s an easy, instant, and delicious recipe to make in the microwave. You can follow the above steps of making the pasta recipe in the microwave and add flavors, sauces, herbs, or even leftover veggies and meat if you want. It’s ideal for midnight cravings and healthy snacking then getting fast food, processed chips, or crackers.
Can I cook pasta in a mug
yes, you can cook pasta in a mug, it is great for when you are cooking for one. Make sure to use a wide mug whenever you can and only cook about ⅓ cup (about 28g) at a time for the best result. The cooking time will be between 3 to 4 minutes.
Related How-to posts
I hope you found this post useful and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions below! thank you so much for spending a few minutes on our blog!!
How To Cook Pasta In Microwave
- Big microwavable bowl
- 1 cup dried pasta
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon butter optional
- black pepper to taste optional
- Take a bowl that is big enough to hold your pasta and deep enough to allow for expansion as the pasta will rise and double in size.
- Add dry pasta in the bowl, add salt and enough water to cover the pasta completely
- Place the bowl in the microwave and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, do keep an eye so it doesn't boil over (you can place a plate under the bowl or kitchen towel before placing it in the microwave). After 3 minutes stir the pasta so that it does not stick together and add some more water if needed.
- Check the pasta for doneness and if it needs a longer time, continue to cook at one-minute intervals until al dente.
- After it’s done carefully take the bowl out from the microwave stir the pasta, drain excess water if need be. Serve as desired